Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Where it Went 9/17 - 9/30

October at last! Time to start the much-anticipated Extra Paycheck Debt Payoff Plan! But first, an evaluation of where my money has gone the past two weeks, compared to the Budget I made. I kept on telling myself to just persevere during the past week when I was really really broke (see my $1.02 bank balance) and to believe in the Extra Paycheck Debt Payoff Plan. But buying a plane ticket and entertaining two sets of friends back-to-back was pretty draining. Friends are just so damned expensive sometimes. Here's how it went:




Budgeted/Actual

Aunt Sallie Mae - 406/406.96
Sprint - 48/48.29
Capital One - 20/15
Air Fare - 520/505
Groceries - 40/20
Entertainment, Misc. - 100/164


Entertainment was annoyingly high owing to a $75 dinner with Out of Town friend on top of a casual dinner the night before of about $30 and a sixer of beer I bought at an overpriced bodega for $12. It was nice she came to visit, don't get me wrong, but I wasn't sorry to see her go either! I pretty much had to live like a miser during the second week of the pay period, but it's okay because I got a free David Sedaris ticket!


The second Budget Buster was of course the air fare to Out of Town Wedding. I am so glad to be able to attend this wedding but at the same time feel just a little bit annoyed my friend is holding it in a place so far off the air travel radar that prices are more than what I would pay to go to a the Carri bean, Mexico, Jamaica or some other place I would love to fly to in October.

Oh well, the deed is done and frankly a few months ago I would never have been able to envision a time where I could afford a $500 plane ticket so I'm a little proud that I pulled it off. Baby steps...

2 comments:

Jim ~ mydebtblog.com said...

I'm glad it's working out and everything, but it just seems as though you're going out of your way to impress your friend. The tone I read in this post just sounds like pure frustration at having to spend so much money because your friend came to visit. At least you pulled it off without resorting to a credit card, but you're pinched for a week now.

The airfare for the wedding I can understand. Saving a little at a time each month may have made doing something like that easier. In the end the conclusion is the same, and I'm glad you pulled it off. Don't be afraid to tell your friends "NO" or that money is tight.

Sallie's Niece said...

Yeah I was pretty annoyed at having to spend that much when she was in town. I really don't get how my friends - who have similar student loan debt at least - all think it's normal to drop so much money at restaurants all the time. I did beg off from dinner one night that she was in town by signing up to work late instead. I do have some friends that I can be more honest about money with and those are the ones that I (luckily) hang out with the most.