Thursday, October 9, 2008

I'm Back AND I'm Broke!


There are some things you can't measure with money. Like the valuable bonding time I gained with colleagues this week. Or the reputation as a "team player" I have likely earned for "volunteering" to go on an extended work trip. And the excellent professional connection I made this week. Or the fact that it's 3:30 and I'm sitting in the condo watching t.v. when everyone else is in the office.

Unfortunately there are some things you can measure with money. Like the fact that due to the work trip I now have none. Sigh. I tried, dear readers, but peer pressure and the promise of a $40 a day food voucher have rendered me temporarily penniless. Luckily I will eventually see most of the money I spent this week returned to me in the form of a travel reimbursement, but not for a couple of weeks I suspect.

BTW car drivers - apparently you can make BANK by signing up to go on a work trip if you play your cards right. My coworker/roommate is going to be reimbursed at something like $0.85 a mile - far above what it actually cost to drive her car. Unfortunately I don't have a car so I don't get to share in the booty.

In short, the trip was not the mini-vacation I imagined it to be and I can finally believe Boyfriend when he urges me not to be jealous of his travel to interesting locales. Sight-seeing was limited to a secret lunch trip I orchestrated and dinners were had at mostly chain restaurants. We didn't even SEE the city we were supposedly visiting as our work was done in the 'burbs. Alas, it was for "the greater good" of my office and I'm glad I went.

But don't expect me to "volunteer" again any time soon.

3 comments:

Lucy said...

Yup, work trips can sure make you money if you drive! DH and I took a work trip (his) a couple of years ago and made so much in gas and food per diems (without skimping!) that we were actually able to buy new tires for our car.

Shtinkykat said...

I love business trips where I drive 100 miles or so since I my mileage reimbursement gives me a net profit of 70% or so. But... my company policy dictates that the mileage reimbursement is intended to cover cost of gas, wear and tear and insurance. So if I get into a car accident during my trip, my auto insurance is on the hook.

undercover vixen said...

wow that's a high reimbursement rate. i think we are closer to the ac level of .44 a mile at my job