Thursday, July 3, 2008

I'm an Automatic Millionaire!!

No, I didn't win the lottery. I just read a book. For free at the library. It's David Bach's The Automatic Millionaire. I've read a couple of reviews of this book at other PF blogs and it basically sounded to me like it said what all other books on personal finance said:

1. Save early, save often
2. Stop spending money on unneccesary things
3. Live below your means
4. Invest

So I didn't think I needed to read another book. But I am really glad I picked it up. Here's why:

I reguarly counsel my friends to start saving for retirement. "Max out your 401(k). Start a Roth IRA" and on and on. I'm like the broken record of retirement savings. I've even had "the talk" with my parents about their future. But I haven't been practicing what I preach! And why, ok, there are two reasons:

1. I have a pension (yes a real live pension!).
2. I thought I couldn't afford to save more.

One of the great things about my job is that I am paying into my future without even meaning to. Three percent of my income is gone, POOF, before I even knew it was there. After 5 years I will be vested in this system and they will stop taking out the three percent. After thirty years of employment I will retire with 60% of my final average salary. After twenty it's 40%. Will I stay at this job forever? Not bloody likely but I'm planning on staying in the "system" of government employment for the foreseeable future.

So, what do I get for 38 years of state service? A whole friggen lot actually:

"Your projected annual Single Life Allowance will be 72.0% of your final average salary (FAS). Using an FAS of $240,498, your annual service Single Life Allowance would be $173,158."

Now, that's just a projection, but knowing that made me content and not too focused on saving anything else.

But reading The Automatic Millionaire made me realize I should save as much as I can for the future. Who knows if I'll stay with the State? Who knows if their projected Final Average Salary is correct? How much will $173,158 actually count for in 38 years?

Very similar to a 401(k) New York State offers a Deferred Compensation program for state employees where you can contribute a portion of your salary pre-tax. There are posters everywhere. There are sign up festivals with free giveaways. I have never signed up. Until now!!!!

Just like David Bach said, I decided to pay myself first and called my benefits office. As soon as I mail the paperwork I will be contributing 7% of my income to my retirement!!! In addition to the 3% already taken out for my pension, I am saving a grand total of 10%!!!


Here's what this money will look like when I retire assuming I continue to contribute 7%:


And that's assuming I never get a salary increase, which I know I will. Almost a million dollars!

AND the impact on my paycheck is only $88!! No longer can I say "I can't afford to save" or "I can't wait until I have some money to save!" I finally started saving by making it automatic.

I really want to implement other ideas from the book as well. I dont' agree with EVERYTHING he has to say (like you don't need a budget, ha! has he met me?!) but all in all, I'd say it's a great read.

2 comments:

graduatedlearning said...

it's kind of wild to realize how important starting early is. The problem I have with those calculation applets is that I'm never sure what to put for things like "annual rate of return", since I have no clue how the market is going to behave.

Oh well, even if I were to be stashing the money away under my mattress, putting that money away every month would really add up!

Dr. Cynthia said...

We at Chantix Online suggest you to quit the very dangerous 'nicotine' addiction by having the anti-smoking magic pill Chantix which is Pfizer manufactured and approved by FDA on May 11,2006.For more sophisticated information about the side-effects of smoking and the treatment of it,please logon to Chantix Online.