Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hello New Readers!

Hello, I want to welcome all new readers who may have found my page after I was profiled on MSN's Smart Spending blog (gasp!). I am very flattered to have been mentioned on this blog and hope the new readers can see past the (quite shocking I admit) amount of debt I have accrued and see some positive things about my approach to money, especially in the past couple of months since I have started blogging about my finances. But first a little about me and money:

  • I don't have a car and thus no car payments or insurance. I am lucky enough to walk to work.
  • I HAVE taken money from my parents, most recently on my Sister's bachelorette trip, but other than that it has been several months since I have received anything. Trust me when I say that this money does not come Guilt-Free.
  • I do smoke and I know it's expensive and bad for me. I am trying to quit.
  • I do have a plan for the future and have been blogging about it. As the blog notes, I'm a "work in progress" but as soon as I clear the rest of my short term debt (see sidebar) I am going to unveil my Master Budget that will include the creation of an Emergency Fund and spending limits for each category of spending.

Anyway, I appreciate you stopping by and feel free to ask me any questions you like!

6 comments:

Keri said...

Where did you find the bar graph widget that you used for the short term debt in your side bar???

Sallie's Niece said...

Hi, I can't remember but am pretty sure I borrowed it from another blog. There's this trick you can use that shows you the source code of a page and you just scroll through the html until you find the thing you need. Well it's not a trick, you just click on "view" in your web browser and then click "source." Let me know if that works or I can send mine to you if you want.

Keri said...

I got it to work!!! YAY! Thanks!! Now I can keep track of my debts on my blog!

Anonymous said...

Hey there Sallie. I found your blog through MSN Money.

When I saw your debts, I thought, "Holy canoli." But when I pulled my own records and put pen to paper, I discovered that I'm $128,771.75 in the hole myself.
:-P

I can't identify with most personal financial blogs since most people who have similar amounts of debt like me are due to mortgages/HELOCs. (I'd trade $105k in student loans with a mortgage any time!!)

I also can't bear to read about people who complain about their student loans when they have less than a quarter of what I owe.

I can certainly identify with and sympathize with your struggles. You seem to have a plan and I think you'll find that the debt repayment will get easier over time.

Keep up the good work!

Sallie's Niece said...

Thank you, it's good to know there's others out there in similar situations - I know there must be but the blogs are few and far between so I'm writing mine.

Escape Brooklyn said...

Saw you on MSN and have been enjoying your blog. Welcome to the PF blogosphere!