Monday, March 2, 2009

Paid off my water debt!

As I mentioned before, my fiance agreed to give me some money towards the overdue water money that I owed my landlord. We talked about it and decided it was best to just nip it in the bud ASAP so I can finally ditch my apartment and move in to his place officially.

He kicked in $100 and I paid the remaining $100 so I am now water debt free!

I'm happy to be one step closer to getting rid of my apartment. My parents - who orginally weren't too crazy about premartial cohabitation - even told me to hurry up and get outta my expensive lease.

My overdue utilities are so close to being paid off as well - only $80 left on the payment agreement! In fact, now is a good time to review all of my "short term debt" that I've been working on since establishing the blog in May '08.

Friend A - $200 - paid in full on May 12, 2008

"Boyfriend" - I still owe him (now my fiance) about $300 and he's been lenient on repayment terms but still wants his money back eventually. He says paying him back will keep me honest. Do you agree readers?

Friend C - $60 - I finally got her address and will be sending her the money I owe her in the next pay period. I know this debt bothers a lot of my readers - and me too.

Overdue Utilities - according to my payment agreement I only have about $80 left. Will knock this out in the next pay period and perhaps with my fiance's assistance.

Mom Debt - $100 paid off in August.

So that's all for now. I wish I had more news on my job situation but everything is still up in the air. Stay tuned for wedding planning news!

10 comments:

Sunflowers said...

I assume you guys are going to commingle your assets once you get married... so it's a little weird that he still wants you to pay him back.

At the same time, you did promise to do it...

On the other hand, it's such a small amount of money!

Ok, final verdict - I think he should just forgive the debt!

Sallie's Niece said...

Amen, I agree, but when I asked him about it he gave me this whole spiel about it going towards the wedding fund or whatever. His logic confused me so I'm just not going to pay it for a while. :-)

Anonymous said...

I suggest you take the debt to your boyfriend out in trade!
Maybe do chores for him or something a little more fun?

Anonymous said...

i think the plan to put it as an extra "payment" to your wedding savings is a good one - he could "forgive" it, but it's probably the last time you'll ever be making an arrangement to borrow money from him anyway since you're going to comingle. that means it's just unlikely that either of you would actually forget about it. i know that's weird, but you should just have yourself a nice clean slate going into things, and since you both agreed, the "paying it off" will be that last step. that, and an extra $300 to your wedding savings that you might both be tempted to use in other ways (even noble ones like paying off debt).

Anonymous said...

debt really sucks

Shtinkykat said...

Hey, congrats on getting rid of that pesky debt. But re: what you owe husband-elect: I'm gonna channel Suze Orman - - you want to get married on equal footing and clear conscience. So, yeah, I think you should get that taken care of. But, it would nice if husband-elect just forgave the debt too. :-P

Anonymous said...

Looks like my comment got lost. Let's try this again.


I can't believe these comments, especially you, SN! "this whole spiel" and "so I'm just not going to pay it for a while" !?!?! After he was nice enough to lend you the money, to treat him so disrespectfully is beyond belief. Those comments remind me of a petulant, immature teenager talking about her parents' household rules.

I've been reading your blog for a while and often been surprised by your attitude towards other debts, especially poor Friend C, but I'd expect you to treat the person you've chosen to spend you life with, the person who you should put before everyone else, with a lot more consideration than you treat Sallie Mae.

You guys better consider a his, hers and ours financial system now and after the wedding. And if you borrow money, pay it back, no matter who lent it to you.

Anonymous said...

congrats on getting that paid off! it would be cool if you could take out a decent loan and wipe it all away and then pay it back in portions all combined-like...

but either way, you're 1 step closer to being debt free. good work :)

Anonymous said...

I agree that you need to pay back your boyfriend/fiance. A Clean slate is a good slate.

Sallie's Niece said...

He saw all these comments and we talked about the repayment terms some more. He will be paid back. And then we will create our master shared finances plan for the future when I move in.