Monday, March 9, 2009

My Office Was Dissolved


As of this morning my office is no longer. As for my job, well that remains to be seen. We've been a ship without a sail for a while now - all management left a few weeks ago. We knew the changes were coming down the pipe line as our contracts are ending on March 31st. Even with that knowledge, hearing the words "staff force will be significantly reduced" made my stomach sink down to my knees.

I'm still absorbing this news and remain, perhaps foolishly, optimistic about the changes. Word on the street is that everyone with an advanced degree (ding ding ding..me!) will be offered a spot in the new configuration. At least those who prove themselves competent enough to stay on.

Unlike so many other people hearing bad job news at this time, this change actually has little to do with the economic downtown. Government jobs are for the most part immune to that kind of trouble. Sure my coveted civil service position is not opening up...but even non-civil servants are usually secure in their employment. Except for my office, which has just gotten into bad spot due to politics, poor management and ego-hungry executives.

The way I see it, there are three possible outcomes of this change:
  1. My friends in the know think I may possibly get a better job because of my experience and connections.

  2. I may have to interview for and defend my capacity for my current job.

  3. I will be out on the street in the world's worst job market.

So that's what's happening today on this snowy miserable Monday. The benefit representatives are coming in later this afternoon to answer questions. Stay tuned for more information and cross your fingers for me.

8 comments:

paisley penguin said...

Good luck to you. I will be thinking positive thoughts.

What's with all the snow? We got some Saturday and this morning. I am sick of it. Seattle is not known for it's snowy wintery weather.

asgreen said...

Keep us updated. I'm hoping it all works out for the best (i.e. new better job).

Mommy Saves ALOT!!! said...

I hope everything works out for you! Keep your head up girl!

Enjoy your day.

Anonymous said...

Good luck, and hang in there!

Anonymous said...

holy crap that's scary!! but hold on to that optimism, it may get you through this just fine :)

i hate meeting with HR/Benefits....i hope they give you something good.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about this, but it seems you had an inclinling about this. Thus, abling you to plan for its possible outcome.

I wish you all the best of luck that the situation works in your favor.

Simplelivin' said...

That's a hard spot to be...up in the air not knowing what's going on. Hopefully you hear soon. Good luck!

Shtinkykat said...

I can only offer really cliched words of comfort but I truly believe things (even bad ones) happen for a reason. I have to believe that this will only a temporary set back and that you will come out of it stronger and better for it. Good luck!