Monday, August 25, 2008

My Sister Got Married and all I Got Was a Brother-in-Law

Remember the Budget? And how I budgeted $50 for unexpected expenses over the course of the weekend? Well, take that $50 and multiply it by 6 and that's the actual amount of UNEXPECTED EXPENSES I encountered this weekend!

Ok, first of all, the wedding was fabulous. Wonderful weather, happy family, romantic time with Boyfriend, yadda yadda yadda. And my financial predictions were right on the money about the things I had planned on paying for ($60 at the beauty salon before I left town; $40 in travel expenses to get to my parent's house).

Then I get to my parent's house and find out the news: they are broke! Brokedy broke broke broke. The wedding and an unexpected plumbing incident a week prior had left them pretty much temporarily insolvent. So out of my sense of guilt and desire to please them I ponied up the $100 I owed my Mom. She was pretty suprised (and pleased) because I don't think she remembered bitching about it in the first place. So I am rid of $100 of debt (yay).

Prior to the wedding I asked my Mom if she was paying for my hair appointments and she said yes. But seeing the situation as it was, I felt obligated to pay for it. So there goes $60 for a wash, cut and a blow dry before the rehearsal dinner (which I must add is twice as expensive as it is in my city) and $15 the next day for my up-do (it was a lot more but my Mom accidentally paid for me and I just paid for the tip). Total hair expenses = $75.

I promised Boyfriend I would buy him a new shirt and tie since he was traveling before the wedding (and I wanted to get something I liked anyway). Went to a discount store and only spent $30. He looked great though!

Here's the real Budget Buster: the day of the wedding, all the bridesmaids and my sister get their makeup done. I told my Mom not to worry and that I would pay for mine. Little did I know it was $75 each!!! Add in my $20 tip and I spent $95 for makeup to be applied to my face by a professional! Never ever again will I be so ripped off. Boys and girls, forget college, become a beautician and make bank!

Total Wedding Weekend Expenses =

about $500 all told. I am officially broke. I called my Landlord this morning and told him I could not pay the rent until September 3rd. which is embarrassing of course but it's only technically one day late and I've been a good tenant for almost 5 years now.

I also paid my utility bill to the tune of $102 (including $40 towards the Payment Agreement) so that I have one less thing to worry about in the next Pay Period.

I am upset that I blew the budget but the wedding was an amazing time. Oh and, remember how I predicted I would pay my mother back at the same time my Dad would give me money? Well it happened and I'm not even really that ashamed about it. I went to say goodbye to my father and he just handed my $100 and said "thank you for all your help this weekend." I got a tip just like the altar boy. Was I the best Maid of Honor ever?

I didn't hesitate to take the money because I know he was worried about covering everything and felt bad when he found out I was spending money right and left (money that he must have instinctively knew I needed for other neccessities). So I now have $100 of cash in my pocket but unfortunately it is not enough to pay the rent on time.

I am working on an Amended Budget to be posted later. Good thing I only have two sisters!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

man, i feel like this budget-blowing happens anytime there's a wedding in the picture, even just for friends, so i'm sure it's crazy with a sister! now i just have to figure out keeping my OWN in check...

paisley penguin said...

Seems like no matter how well prepared you are for wedding expenses there are always unavoidable expenses. Found out the hard way during my own wedding. Glad you had a great time!

Shtinkykat said...

First off, congratulations on your sister's marriage! I know how hard it is to say "no" to family, especially when it involves such a happy occasion. I think, though, when you look back, you'll forget about the fact you went $400+ over-budget and will only remember what a lovely event this was. In the meantime, good luck in re-adjusting your budget!

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I've read your blog. I take morphine and have a horrible time with math - one thing is for certain - you over tipped on the $75 for having your make-up done. The $20 tip was over 25%! A tip of $13 would have been over 15% and more than generous.

I don't understand how your family can be "broke" and then, at the end of the weekend, your Dad slip you $100. Were they not as broke as you thought, or were they just recycling the $100 loan repayment you did just a few days before?

Sallie's Niece said...

Good question and one I don't really know the answer to. My only guess is that my Dad must have had a bunch of cash on hand to pay for last minute wedding stuff - mostly tips and just had some left over when all was said and done. Also my parents are not always on the same page money-wise and I think perhaps my Dad didn't want my Mom to make me repay the $100 in the first place.

And yes, I overtipped but all I had on my was a $20. I should have asked for change but at that point it was just a drop in the bucket.

MartaKoza said...

Hi Sallie's Niece,

Many drops make up an ocean - or as my future mother in law would say "Take care of the pennies and the dollars look after themselves."

Congrats on your sister's wedding! My brother just got married and it is expensive - I'm lucky to have a generous mother who paid for my hair and make-up. I just told my parents about my wedding next year - and instead of hearing a happy comment from my new news I hear my father yell "It's expensive" in the background - but over the years I've learned to not take his comments at face value - I admit it saddened me since he doesn't see how he is making me upset by not being happy for me, but I've dedicated myself to a man and in a year will officially begin my own family. The thought of that is comforting.

Good luck with your goals and congrats quitting smoking!

BitterSugar