Friday, October 31, 2008

Let Them Eat (Wedding) Cake Part Two

Right after I got back from the Destination Wedding I attended I did an incomplete post of my time away and all the money I spent. And then I got busy with work and life of course so I left you all in suspense. Also you're probably not gonna like what I have to tell you because I spent a whole lot of money. But life is meant for the living, right? Not the scary zombie brides (Happy Halloween BTW!!!).

Ok so here is it and appropriate to the date, it's pretty scary!!!

As of my last post I was still on Friday and had spent $70 of my own money (see previous post for details).

Saturday I wake up hungover as all hell. I remember a hot tub. I remember the World Series being on really late. I remember deciding I was bored of beer and that it was a good time to switch to liquor. Hanging out with college friends must have made me think I could still drink like I was in college. Sadly friends, that is no longer true.

The Atkins girls had supplied a heartiful sausage breakfast. Eww gross thought hungover Sallie's Niece. When someone volunteered a supermarket run I jumped in to come. I immediately purchased a Starbucks Iced Mocha with whipped cream (a yummy $4), then proceeded to get a roast beef wrapped sandwich, a 12-pack of beer (my contribution to the house), flip flops for dancing (I forgot mine), a nail file (I forgot mine) and a toothbrush (yup forgot that too). All told I spent $35 at the supermarket (including Starbucks).

Back at the house I deposited a crisp $50 bill into my wedding card as a gift to my friend. Then we went to the wedding. Yay it was awesome. So happy for her. The band was great! We danced and partied in a limo. Pretty much your typical expensive best-day-of-your-life kind of thing. Going to a wedding stag sucks though and I'm one of the most independent women I know. I danced awkwardly next to other couples and finally snagged the cousin of the groom as my dancing partner. He was adorably southern and had hair that draped over one eye just so....but I digress.

The day after the wedding was a real Budget Buster. I thought I had secured people to come with me (and drive me) to the touristy things I wanted to do before my flight. I thought wrong. College Friend left for her honeymoon and I was alone in an oceanfront mansion. And bored. I called about ten dolphin tour boat companies and half of them were not operating because it was Sunday. The other half refused to take on just one passenger. Curse you!

I finally found a boat but it wasn't departing for several hours. So I took a cab to requisite touristy resturant ($20). Had lunch and drinks ($25). Bought souvenirs including one Christmas gift ($47). Took another cab to boat tour ($12). Went on boat tour ($15). Sat at a bar in the harbor until it was time for my flight ($10). Took yet another cab to airport ($15). Bought random snacks and magazines ($12).

So yes, I spent almost all of the $200 my Dad gave me plus about $150 of my own dollars. It was the most expensive weekend ever!

I had fun and I'm glad I got to be a part of my friend's wedding and everything. Looking back I should really have rented a car even if it was only for one day because though I was told it was a very small town the cabs were so slow and painfully expensive. I also really should have found a way to get Boyfriend to come with me because being on my own really really sucked.

I don't want to come off as anti-wedding and I know I definitely didn't need to spend as much as I did but the next time I get invited to a Destination Wedding it best be someplace really fun and affordable to get to. Hopefully there will be no more weddings for a while now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that a picture of you all hungover? haha...i'm dreading this feeling tomorrow. i've got a football game to play in at 10 am!!! yikes.

i'm gonna *try* and stick with beer all night, but knowing me i'll try and be a college rock star all over again. and fail.

Shen Dove said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun. You seem like you budget pretty good on regular basis, so sometimes you have to live a little. Unexpected monetary gifts from Dads are great. I've been an appreciative recipient of those too.

Daizy said...

Wow, being bored cost you over $150. You could have bought trail mix at the grocery store and drank water at the airport all day instead...but then I'm sure the memories are worth it. Next time bring your own snacks and a book. Other than that, I don't blame you for taking advantage of the cool locale. It might have been a once in a lifetime experience.

Anonymous said...

isn't it funny how we learn the hard way that our bodies don't handle alcohol like it used to? lol. Glad you had a great time!