Monday, June 22, 2009

A Year of No Fun Money

The wedding is still over a year away. Plenty of time to save up money, right? Yes...but also a whole year of my life where anytime we think of something we want - a video game system, a vacation, an electric fireplace for the condo - we have to stop ourselves and say "we can't afford to buy that yet because we need to save for the wedding." And I know these aren't things we need and we have already traveled quite a bit this past year...but it still something that's tough to get used to.

Case in point. This morning I was innoccently perusing classified ads on craigslist and saw something I absolutely do not need but desperately desperately want. I won't even say what it is to avoid the inevitable bashing by anonymous readers but trust me when I say that having this item would make me very happy AND it was a really good deal. Owning this item, I could revive an old and cherished hobby of mine, spend quality time with my future husband and get some recreation and exercise. But it was not to be.

Alas, luxuries have got to wait for at least one more year. And it's good in a way because planning a wedding takes a lot of time and money so I'm glad we're not rushing into it. Yet sometimes I wish we had eloped.

2 comments:

DogAteMyFinances said...

Oh, I feel you. Weddings are insanely expensive. Wait until you actually write one of those checks. They are PAINFUL.

Shtinkykat said...

Just reading other people's blogs, sounds like we're all itching to spend. I know it's tough now, but just imagine how happy you'll be at wedding time when you're spending money you've saved rather than going knee deep in debt. Keep up the good work, Sallie.