Thursday, January 4, 2018

Child Care Costs and 2018 Tax Changes

It's only four days into the year and I am crunching the numbers because we just got another daycare bill.




Two years ago with an infant and a two year old in full time daycare our expenses were insane!  We were paying nearly $2,000 a month.  Luckily our school district has a free preschool program which we started at age three so our costs dropped significantly. 




Now I have my two year old at a great daycare center which costs $245 a week.  And my 4 year old is in pre-k so I pay $400 a month for after-care.  My total monthly childcare costs are currently $1380.  (Side note: we were at another cheaper daycare center for a while and trust me we're so much happier paying a little more to know our kiddos are in great hands.)




So it's a lot.  It's funny because I frequently hear people encouraging couples to have more kids regardless of financial concerns, saying "oh, you'll figure it out!"  Please.  Even if I were to figure out squeezing another $250 car seat plus two years of diapers into my budget I'm confident another $1,000 would not just fall from the sky.




But just this week I got a note saying it's almost time to register my eldest for kindergarten!  I can't even believe it.  In just eight short months our child care costs should go down!  Assuming we will pay $400 a month for my youngest child's aftercare and $220 a month at an aftercare program at the elementary school our costs will be just $620 a month, a savings of $760 a month!


Before the passage of the Tax Bill we put $5000 into a Dependent Care account like we've done for the past several years, but that money doesn't even total half of our annual child care expenses.  Now I see, however, that we are able to save up to $10,000 pre-tax money in a 529 and use that towards childcare.  We already have a 529 set up for the kids and, at first, it seemed insane to touch that money for day care since it's for college savings but we could set up a separate one just for day care so the funds don't get co-mingled.




First, I need to figure out what my total 2018 child care expenses will be, anticipating the awesome savings come September.




January - June - $1,380 a month = $8,200


July - August - $1,780 a month = $3,560


September - December - $620 a month = $2,480


Total 2018 Child Care Expenses (projected) = $14,240.




Okay, time to open another 529....and maybe a beer.


Edit: I was wrong and you can't use a 529 to pay for daycare.  You can use it to pay for private school but that doesn't apply to us.  I know only a few people still read this blog but I didn't want to give out bad information!

1 comment:

Ben said...

Wow is good to be back with my ex again, thank you Dr Ekpen for the help, I just want to let you know that is reading this post in case you are having issues with your lover and is leading to divorce and you don’t want the divorce, Dr Ekpen is the answer to your problem. Or you are already divorce and you still want him/her contact Dr Ekpen the spell caster now on (ekpentemple@gmail.com) and you will be clad you did