Friday, November 7, 2008

Not Laid Off....Yet

They say layoffs generally happen on Fridays, right? Well I was worried about the staff meeting scheduled for this morning and what kind of announcement was going to be made. But of course, this being government work, the meeting had absolutely no value and despite its promise of answers, provided none. The one thing I did learn of any substance was this...my job is pretty much safe until January 1, if not longer.

I'm not exactly breathing a sigh of relief just yet because now comes the time when insider manuevering and jockeying has to take place. I'm actually pretty good at this game, despite the fact that I hate it. The only problem is (well the biggest problem) is deciding who is your friend in this type of situation. If you get on the wrong ship, you just may be doomed.

I know who I'm not picking: my immediate boss who yesterday brought up a large trash container and started emptying out his office "just to make things easy" thus destroying the morale of the entire office. People have been in and out of his office all week looking for answers but my hunch is that he has already found himself a golden parachute in the form of a high-paying job with a regulated industry. Good riddance I say!

I've been working on three different angles preparing myself in every imaginable way for whatever may come. I have a couple of things on my side:
  1. I have a degree and lots of experience.
  2. I'm willing to work for low pay.
  3. I have lots of friends.

Having friends is crucial for employment leads and gaining access to networking and other career opportunities. And I'm not just talking other low-level employees fresh out of school like myself but people with experience and contacts. I am friends with these people too.

So not much news to report on LayoffWatch 2008 so far but I will keep you updated in the days and weeks to come.

6 comments:

paisley penguin said...

I'll be thinking of you. Sounds like you have a plan in place for if it happens. Hopefully not.

Serendipity said...

It's always good to have a plan B. Layoff or no layoff. I hope it all works out though, no one deserves to get layed off in this crummy economy.

Daizy said...

Sorry to hear you might get laid off. I got laid off 2 years ago and it was very depressing. I hated getting unemployment because I had to go down to the office (same office as welfare) and it was so dirty and gross and the people were so condescending. I vowed NEVER to go on unemployment again. That is one of the main reasons I have been saving money like a mad-woman!

Anonymous said...

I was just told today that company is not going to shut down. That's a sigh of relief for now. I have been worried since August.

Living Almost Large said...

Praying for you. But I was wondering what do you do exactly? If it's not too rude.

Sallie's Niece said...

Thanks, no it's not rude I just don't talk specifically about my job in order to stay anonymous. I wish I could write more about it because it's actually kinda cool! To put it this way: I am a non civil service (i.e. appointed) state worker. I'm a cog in the wheel of the great giant bureaucracy that is New York.